This autumnal salad is a delicious way to enjoy chestnuts and seasonal veggies, such as baby spinach, beetroots and red onion. The chestnuts add a crunch and a sweetness to the salad, and they also help to keep the salad filling.
- 100g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 200g roasted beetroot, peeled
- 6 slices thick Italian ham
- 1 apple (optional)
- 175g cooked chestnuts, crumbled
- 3-4 slices crusty bread
- 2 tbsp. oil
- Salt, pepper and garlic granules
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
Rip the crusty bread into chunks. Sprinkle with the oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Pop into a 200C oven and bake for 10 minutes or until crisp. Take out of the oven.
Thinly slice the beetroots and then slice each slice into quarters. Core the apple and thinly slice. Rip the ham into pieces.
Make the dressing by whisking together the oil, vinegar, mustard and red onion. Season to taste.
On plates, arrange the spinach leaves, beetroot, apple, ham, chestnuts and croutons. Drizzle with the dressing and if desired, toss to coat.