This vegetarian pâté is much lower in fat than its meat counterparts yet it offers a wonderful depth of flavour. Shiitake mushrooms have an intense umami taste and can be bought dried and rehydrated in water if no fresh ones are available. Perfect as a starter served on warm French bread, or as an ingredient in a picnic hamper.
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 100g shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
Melt the butter over a low heat and gently fry the onion, shallots and garlic for 5 mins until soft.
Increase the heat and add the mushrooms, cooking for 10 minutes until the juices have evaporated.
Stir in the lemon juice, mustard, thyme and crème fraîche. Cook for a further 3 mins.
Serve hot over French bread or chill in the fridge and have with crackers.