Lentils and ham simmer slowly in a fragrant stock in this delicious soup. Throw it all in the slow cooker before you go to bed, then portion it up for lunch the next morning.
- 400g dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 750ml chicken stock
- 3 carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 150g cooked ham, chopped (can use leftover gammon)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. each celery salt and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground caraway seed and nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
1. Put everything into a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, stirring occasionally, removing the bay leaf before serving.